How to distribute WiFi from a laptop: instructions from A to Z
- Before distributing WiFi from a laptop
- Programs for creating a virtual WiFi distribution point
- Create an access point: the three best ways
- A way to configure WiFi distribution using the command line
- Access Point with Windows 7: computer-to-computer network
- Security issues when distributing Wi-Fi without a router
- We connect the tablet, smartphone and laptop for distribution
In our age of digital and modern technologies for the average city dweller it’s impossible to imagine life without the Internet. One of her sons can be called WiFi. And the question naturally arises, how is it still necessary to distribute WiFi from a laptop, if there is no possibility (or desire) to connect a router. Let's take a closer look at this.
Before distributing WiFi from a laptop
Before you start setting up the distribution of WiFi through a laptop, you need to make sure that your device is equipped with a built-in device for distribution of the Internet: a WiFi adapter or USB or PCL type. Their presence can be viewed in the Control Panel in the Network and Internet tab. If you find the item Wireless Network in Network Connections, then you can safely proceed to the organization of the distribution of WiFi.
WiFi is a trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. It is a connectivity standard IEEE 802.11 protocol. In general, is a wireless network that can be used by all devices that support a similar transmission standard.
Programs for creating a virtual WiFi distribution point
The first step is to create a virtual access point. She will be your laptop. To make it a WiFi point, you can download free software from official sites.
One such program is called mHotspot. This software does not need to be installed. After it is downloaded, you must run mHotspot. There will be indicated the necessary program settings. For example, a field called Mhotspot name is entered for the name of the future network. That it will be visible in the list of available points for connection.
You can download the program from the official site.
The window working with the program mHotspot
The next field is called Password. This is the password. It must be no shorter than eight characters. It is important to introduce it in order to protect the network from being accessed by unauthorized people.
The field called Max Clients regulates the number of gadgets that can be simultaneously connected to the network. The maximum number is ten. If this field is a unit, then no one except your computer will be able to connect to it. Click Start Mhotspot and go to create an access point.
Video: how to use the program mHotspot
This is another program that can be downloaded on the Internet is MyPublicWiFi. Go to the official website of the bootloader, you can download the software on your laptop. The program does not require installation and works immediately after downloading.
MyPublicWifi working window
The program MyPublicWifi allows you to make a Wifi access point from your computer. Operating Instructions:
- Download MyPublicWifi (preferably version 5.1).
- To install the program.
- Reboot the laptop.
- Start MyPublicWifi (or start the MyPublicWifi program as an administrator, this is if you get an error during a regular start).
- Specify the item Automatic HotSpot configuration.
- select the network name to be created in the Network Name (SSID) field.
- In the Network Key, specify the password.
- Select (tick) Enable Internet Sharing.
- In the list select a laptop connection to the Internet network.
- Click the Set up and Start Hotspot button.
The program MyPublicWifi works great and does not require much effort to connect
Create an access point: the three best ways
Distribution through an existing Internet connection
Distribute Wi-Fi through an existing Internet connection under the force of the operating systems Windows 7 and 8.
In order to make the Internet distribution, you must follow these steps:
- Control Panel.
- Network and Internet.
- Network and Sharing Center.
- Change adapter settings.
- Wireless network connection 2. Rename it as desired. As you wish.
- We find our own active connection. It is basically called a local area network connection. Also referred to as Virtual WiFi.
- In the properties of the active connection, you should find the tab "access" and go on it. In this tab, put a tick, that is, we agree with all the items. Namely:
- we allow other users to use this network;
- allow other users to manage connections to the selected network.
- From the list choose your active connection. That is: a local area connection (or the name you renamed the connection to).
- Click "OK" and restart the computer.
If you want a smartphone, tablet or laptop to use this access point, you should only run the program to distribute wi-fi. And on the devices that will be connected, you must enter the network access passwords.
A way to configure WiFi distribution using the command line
The above methods do little work in case you need to distribute WiFi from a computer on which Windows 10 is installed.
How does the command line on the laptop screen
Steps to distribute wireless networks using the command line:
- Check the possibility of distribution. You must run the command line as administrator and enter the netsh wlan show drivers command in it.
- Read the item "Hosted Network Support" (if the settings are in English, it will be written Hosted Network). There must be the word "yes."
- The next item on the command line is: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = remontka key = secretpassword. At the same time, in a command, such instructions as “remontka” is the name of the wireless network (you can write your own, no spaces are used). Secretpassword is the WiFi secret password. You choose it yourself.
- After all the data is entered, enter the command: netsh wlan start hostednetwork.
- Right-click on the Start menu on the desktop and select "Network Connections" there.
- In this list, select the Internet connection that is currently used. Click the right mouse button to open the Access tab. Allow access to other users.
We configure network capabilities via the command line
In the end, a notification appears on the screen that the wireless network is running. If there were no errors and failures, you can connect phones, tablets and laptops to this network. They will now have access to the Internet.
Access Point with Windows 7: computer-to-computer network
Video, how to adjust the distribution of WiFi from a computer through Windows 7
In order to make a wireless connection on Windows 7, you need to create a network "computer-to-computer". In the lower right corner of the screen (where the clock, date, and quick launch icons are located. This is called “tray”) find the “Internet connection”. Click on it, and then select "Network and Sharing Center".
A window will appear. In it, you must select the item "New Connection Settings". And click "Configure the wireless network" Computer-Computer "and" next. "
In the new window fill in the three columns:
- network name (think up by yourself);
- security type (WPA2-ptrsonal best);
- security key.
Go to the "Network and Sharing Center" in the "Modify advanced sharing options" section and check the box "Enable" on all items. Do not forget to put a tick on the moment: "remember the network settings." Click the "next" button.
After the system configures the distribution of the Internet via WiFi, in the window that appears, you will need to click "Enable Internet Connection Sharing".
Setup was successful, if after that the computer will be able to distribute the Internet via WiFi without difficulty
Security issues when distributing Wi-Fi without a router
Since, as a result of organizing a virtual access point, an account is created with standard parameters, the admin name, any person who is at least somehow familiar with the network can easily connect to it.
To avoid this, it is important to know some points. Actions that are necessary to protect themselves and the network from the invasion of the guests surveyed.
In the address bar of the browser (any), enter 192.168.0.1. A window will appear on the screen in which you will need to enter an admin name and password. Go to the Maintenance tab in the section called Administrator. In the New Password field enter a new, complex password. It is necessary to remember. You will need it when connecting other devices to the network. With the Blade on Confirm Password, we confirm that we are saving the written password. By the same principle we change Login Name. At the end of each action done, click Save Settings. This means: save the settings.
Thus, we have protected the account. With more help, it is possible to change all network settings. Including connecting and disconnecting devices, as well as blocking gadgets so that they cannot connect to this network.
We proceed directly to the protection of the access point. In the already open tab in the browser, we find an item called Setup, that is, Settings. In it, select the section Wireless Settings. Will open a new window. It is required to select a function called Manual Wireless Connection Setup. In the settings section, which is located in Wireless Network Settings, we set a new network name (SSID). It should be quite complicated.
If you want users of other gadgets not to see a custom network, then in the Enable Hidden Wireless field, check the box.
We connect the tablet, smartphone and laptop for distribution
After the distribution of Wi-Fi will be organized, to the newly-minted "router" in the form of a laptop you will need to connect smartphones, planets and other gadgets with support for a wireless connection.
Connection features have devices running on the Android operating system. Of course, first of all, it is better to check whether access to the network by other devices is allowed.
If it is, then it is necessary. It is designed for the Internet with Windows on Android devices. The next step is to enable in the settings of the tablet or smartphone on Android mode called "USB debugging". And then connect the gadget via USB cable to the laptop.
Unzip the folder with the adb program and run AndroidTool.exe. A window will open, in which you will need to click the Refresh Devices button. On the right will be a list called Select Domain Name Server (Dns) ... There you choose your own DNS server. After clicking the Show Android Interface button, the application will be installed on your tablet.
Program USB Tunnel allow superuser rights on the tablet. And feel free to click the Connect button.